Re: merged-/usr transition: debconf or not?

On 2021-11-18 at 20:06, Luca Boccassi wrote:

> On Thu, 2021-11-18 at 16:23 -0500, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>
>> Luca Bocassi wrote:

>>> [merged /usr] is the default. It has been the default for
>>> multiple releases of multiple distributions. All Ubuntu
>>> installations that were not using this default are now forcibly
>>> converted upon upgrade to 21.10.
>>>
>>> And yet nobody has actually seen [the file disappearance bug]
>>> happen, to the best of my knowledge.
>>
>> I already explained why that doesn't prove the bug is a non-issue.
>> To the contrary; it means there is an enormous installed base of
>> systems where the bug is latent, waiting to cause problems under
>> conditions which we can reasonably expect to occur shortly after
>> the release of bookworm.  Please do not make me repeat myself.
>>
>> zw
>
> I'm afraid you have not. Why would the release of bookworm make any
> difference? There will be nothing new that hasn't already been
> happening for years.

I interpret Zack's comment as referring to this, which he said in
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2021/11/msg00205.html:

> [P]eople aren't doing the package changes that trigger the bug, yet.
> They can't, because that would break systems where /usr hasn't been
> merged. If the bug is not fixed I expect it will start causing
> problems in unstable *after* bookworm, since (as I understand the
> current transition plan) bookworm+1 development is the earliest that
> package maintainers may assume /bin is a symlink.

IOW, I interpret him as disagreeing with you that "there will be nothing
new that hasn't already been happening for years". Specifically, I parse
him as arguing that:

* to date, package maintainers have not yet begun moving
already-packaged files from / to /usr/ (specifically because doing so
would break systems that have not yet been migrated to merged-/usr, and
Debian has not yet declared that such systems are unsupported),

* after bookworm, package maintainers will start moving already-packaged
files from / to /usr/, and

* doing this will, in a non-negligible number of cases, trigger the bug
to manifest on systems where that package is upgraded from a version
where the move had not taken place to one where it has.

(Zack, if I've gotten any of those wrong, please don't hesitate to
correct me; I'll either apologize, or drop right back out of the
discussion to go hide in a metaphorical hole, if not both.)

Do you dispute any of those three points? If so, I'd be interested to
know which one(s), and why.

--
   The Wanderer