Re: merged-/usr transition: debconf or not?

    Zack> The existence of the bug is not in question.  A step-by-step
    Zack> reproduction recipe was posted in the previous thread.  Losing
    Zack> files from Essential packages when they are upgraded is
    Zack> severity:critical

Agreed so far.

    Zack> .  Therefore: either someone fixes the bug,
    Zack> or the transition will have to be canceled.  It appears to me
    Zack> that the tech ctte agrees with all of this.

There's a third option.
We sit around in the state where /bin is a symlink, but where you cannot
move files to /usr paths in the package system until the bug is fixed.

I.E. I don't think the transition is going to get canceled; we're too
far down that path.
I do think that it might be a critical bug to move packages from /bin to
/usr/bin in the packaging system in bookworm+1 if this bug doesn't get
fixed.

In other words, there are people who are motivated to do the work of
creating /bin->/usr/bin symlinks.
There may not be people motivated to make it possible for the later
packaging changes to happen.
That may be the work that doesn't get done until motivated people show
up to do it.