Re: merged-/usr transition: debconf or not?

On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 12:56:49PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Nov 08, Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> wrote:
> > Right now, it is sufficient to preseed debconf to disallow the usrmerge
> > package messing with the filesystem tree outside dpkg. Managed installations
> > usually have a ready-made method to do so.
> This is not really relevant, since the conversion is mandatory.
> The CTTE stated that the only exception is "Testing and QA systems
> should be able to avoid this transition, but if they do, they cannot be
> upgraded beyond Debian 12", and my plan is to arrange for this with
> a flag file.

As I see it the CTTE decision effectively allows the transition to be
deferred until the moment you want to upgrade to 13. Ideally the
transition is performed already in the 11→12 upgrade automatically for
you, but you could prevent that automatism and do it manually someday
while you have 12 installed (as no 12 package can depend on merged /usr
as it would not be installable on upgrade from 11 and/or executable on
buildds/testing/qa systems at the least).

So, wouldn't it make sense to go with an (extreme) low priority debconf
question defaulting to 'yes, convert now' which [I think] non-experts
aren't bothered with and users/systems wanting to opt-out for the moment
(like buildds) have a standard way of preseeding rather than inventing a
homegrown flag-file and associated machinery?

As a bonus, if I had previously decided to forgo the automatic
transition for whatever reason (lets say to test build packages on that
box) I also have a standard way of triggering the conversion by calling
dpkg-reconfigure on usrmerge at leisure before the 13 upgrade.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies