Re: Debian's branches and release model

On 2021-10-21 02:24:19 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
[...]
> What I don't know is how far OpenStack went for supporting
> skipping releases. For example, would it work to upgrade from
> Rocky (in Buster) to Victoria (in Bullseye) directly? For which
> projects?

I don't think so, at least not for enough of the projects in
OpenStack yet, but that's the sort of thing I'd *like* to try to
work toward in the community. There's a desire for it well beyond
just the GNU/Linux distributions, lots of folks with deployments
would prefer to upgrade every couple of years without having to step
through several intermediate versions of everything in order to do
so. A big part of the problem is testing though: if we want to
continuously test upgrade viability, then the number of possible
combinations of start and end versions for those upgrade tests
present a significant challenge.
--
Jeremy Stanley