Re: merged /usr vs. symlink farms

On Thu, 2021-08-26 at 12:16 +0200, Simon Richter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 8/26/21 8:38 AM, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>
> > > By my definition, these have never been working correctly, but
> > > semantics I guess.
>
> > It is not semantics. You keep saying that countless Debian and Ubuntu
> > systems are not working correctly, but since this obviously does not
> > reflect the experience of the owners of these systems then just about
> > everybody will believe that you are wrong about merged-/usr.
>
> Ideally the question whether a system works correctly would be a
> technical, not a political one that is based on a majority vote of
> people who do not look behind the facade.
>
>     Simon

Precisely - and the correct technical question is, how many bug reports
were opened by users? Strawmen can always be constructed, for example
you can completely brick a system by running 'apt install bash:armhf'
but that doesn't mean multiarch should be scrapped and reverted, it
would be silly to suggest that - and yet here we are. Conversely this
doesn't mean the dpkg database bug shouldn't be fixed, so that the
replace+move bug can't happen in the future, but it simply makes
overblown and hyperbolic ideas such as "all systems are broken, revert
everything" and "let's cancel the TC decision" appear counter-
productive and deeply unhelpful toward finding an actual, realistic
solution.

Given this and the last few mails, it seems to me at this point the
only possible way forward is what Timo and Ted suggested the other day,
namely to have an external tool, possibly part of src:usrmerge, scan
the dpkg database and fix it? Possibly on a trigger?

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi