Re: Question Re: Advertising in Packages

Hi,

On 2021-08-15 10:16 p.m., Antonio Russo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question that I originally posed in debian-vote, but was directed
> here instead:
>
>    "Can one advertise non-free services in a Debian package?
>     Is doing so a violation of some Debian policy?
>
> Again, if this is the wrong venue, I'm sorry.
>
> The details are filed against firefox[-esr], #992208 [1] (which was
> summarily closed without very much discussion).  The non-free services in
> question are Amazon, YouTube, Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter.
>
> I would propose we replace these with things like lemmy, mastadon, peertub,
> matrix, framasoft, fsf.org, and debian.org.  However, if those become
> contentious (and please don't consider this an endorsement by me of every
> single one of them), we could just remove all of these pre-seeded
> "top sites".

Without regard to the first part of this question (relating to what is
allowed or not). I think as a free and opensource community, it would be
better having links to free services. For sure Google remain Google as a
search engine, but there's other that still do a great job.

Same applies to Youtube and Peertube, Mastodon for social media, etc.

And for sure, replacing Amazon by debian.org is a good thing. This way
people would get a easy access to the main project site (or even a link
to the documentation).

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside