Re: What are desired semantics for /etc/shells?

    Helmut> Hi, Due to working on installation bootstrap, I was looking

    Helmut> This raises the question of what the desired semantics for
    Helmut> `/etc/shells` are.  Do we want the strict interpretation of
    Helmut> the policy to be followed and update all those packages to
    Helmut> conditionalize their `add-shell` invocations?

Yes.
A number of people have provided a yes without much reasoning.

As an admin, I expect to be able to install a shell, say because I want
to write scripts in it, without allowing users to select it as a login
shell.
I expect installing a shell, and remove-shelling that shell to work for
this purpose.

--Sam