Re: Unique kernel with my own backup of all Debian repositories

On 2021-06-14 12:55 p.m., Marc Haber wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 07:23:45 -0700, John E Petersen
> <jepetersen@utexas.edu> wrote:
>> Thanks Paul, but I'm having a hard time finding the precise version I would
>> like to archive on any ftp mirror. My scrape is actually working quite
>> correctly now, though, since I added a sleep in there -- the source and
>> machine-installation instructions are tidily tucked away in different
>> directories, with names, locations, and success/failure logged into a
>> key-value (more of a dictionary-ish, really) text file. I get that an ftp
>> request is more civilized, but this scrape is quite convenient for me. If
>> it is more palatable to the community, I can increase the sleep time in the
>> loop to a couple of minutes or even a few or more, and throw it on one of
>> my raspberry pis and forget about it for a while, since I'm not in a major
>> hurry.
>
> rsync is incomprehensible rocket science?

When you expect to build a "new" Debian kernel (Hurd ? FreeBSD ?)
because there's too much government agent involved in Debian, that you
complain there's a security hole in Ubuntu (but we are in Debian here)
because your hosting provider's web panel doesn't allow you to connect
without first passing in a SSH key... Then let me say, that pretty much
all of your life is... rocket science ! And you failed much of it.

I still can't understand why would it be easier to build a custom system
to scrape a website than to use either :
apt-mirror / debmirror / aptly
OR
rsync -avH rsync.debian.org/debian/... ./mylocalrepo
--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside