Re: What are desired semantics for /etc/shells?

Hi Helmut,

Helmut Grohne, on 2021-06-10:
> This raises the question of what the desired semantics for `/etc/shells` are.
> Do we want the strict interpretation of the policy to be followed and update
> all those packages to conditionalize their `add-shell` invocations? Or is
> `/etc/shells` a simple collection of installed shells and administrators are
> not supposed to mess with it? The latter interpretation somewhat conflicts with
> our policy, so we might have to update it. If `/etc/shells` is not to be messed
> with, maybe it should not live inside `/etc`?

With my Debian User and system administrator hat on, I tend to
find the behavior of having shells going back to /etc/shells
after upgrade a bit surprising.  I might find both effects on
chsh(1) and on random services to be of interest, given the
description of shells(5):
>>     /etc/shells is a text file which contains the full path‐
>>     names of valid login shells.  This file is consulted  by
>>     chsh(1) and available to be queried by other programs.
>>
>>     Be aware that there are programs which consult this file
>>     to find out if a user is a normal user; for example, FTP
>>     daemons  traditionally  disallow  access  to  users with
>>     shells not included in this file.

Perhaps I would have liked to reduce the choice of shells for
regular users to a known subset for reasons; I can think of some
distributed applications expecting a specific kind of user
shell, in order to work properly, yet have further command
interpreters for all sorts of needs.  Thus, I'm very tempted to
think bringing back a removed shell to /etc/shells, on a shell
package upgrade, would be a genuine bug against said shell
package.

That being said, this is only my point of view, and I don't
actually meddle much with /etc/shells, so don't really have a
strong opinion on the topic.  Still, I believe that it is
reasonable to think there are installations somewhere which
might rely on administrator maintained /etc/shells, so if it is
due to become solely maintained by software, then it would be
well worth a release note, I guess.

In hope this is of interest for your work on improving packaging
conditions and installation bootstrap,
have a nice day,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da