Re: Figuring how to work with team-maintained packages on salsa

Hello,

On Sun 06 Jun 2021 at 11:20AM -07, Sean Whitton wrote:

> Hello Helmut,
>
> On Fri 04 Jun 2021 at 08:49PM +02, Helmut Grohne wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 04, 2021 at 07:43:59PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>>> I want to add a few patches to this repository:
>>>
>>>   <https://salsa.debian.org/glibc-team/glibc/>
>>>
>>> Surely there must be some tool support to help with that?  I know how
>>> to do it manually (perhaps even involving quilt).  Has every Debian
>>> developer their own script for that?  (It's like this in RPM land …)
>>
>> There is no homogeneity on git repositories. The sad truth is that if
>> you want to work with arbitrary packages in a homogeneous way, it is
>> best to avoid git entirely and work with .debdiffs instead. Eventually,
>> dgit might solve this, but its adoption still is fairly low.
>
> dgit has already mostly solved working with arbitrary packages in a
> homogeneous way -- `dgit clone` gets you something standard, and you can
> then just cherry-pick/format-patch your work to share with the
> maintainer.

Sorry, that reply was a too quick, not taking adequate account of what
Helmut wrote.

If you want to produce patches/commits to share with the maintainer,
then `dgit clone` enables you to work with arbitrary packages in a
homogeneous way, regardless of adoption of `dgit push`.  It can also
help you NMU; see dgit-nmu-simple(7).  I am not sure what Helmut has in
mind with the mention of .debdiffs -- could you perhaps explain why you
feel you have to fall back to these, even with dgit?

What dgit doesn't really help you with is integrating those patches
directly into the maintainer's repo, if the maintainer invites you to
push your changes directly, which is perhaps what Florian was looking
for.

--
Sean Whitton