Re: facility to access the NEWS content

On Mon, 2021-12-13 at 19:55 +0100, Patrice Duroux wrote:

> Packages may provide a NEWS (or any other name, compressed or not, etc.) file

Since that is an upstream file, it is not standard across all Debian
package upstreams, including the name, file type and contents.

Different subsets of packages have a standard for it (like all GNU
packages). Different subsets of packages might use a common name for it
like NEWS or ChangeLog or CHANGES.md, but some of those could be for
VCS commit logs so you can't automatically tell which is which. Other
packages might use entirely unique names for the file. Some packages
might even have one file per upstream version.

> as a user is there an uniform / easy (whatever its place and name) to read it?

Given the above constraint, the answer has to be no, until Debian
invents a new mechanism to have the package maintainer designate which
file in the package contains the release notes. That is likely to be a
lot of work for all of Debian to switch to, so the transition would
take a long time and probably never be complete.

I note that there is a ChangeLog field in DEP-8 but it is not defined
which kind of change log (commit log or release notes) it contains.
Also it contains a URL not the filename in the package.

> 2. It exists apt-listchanges but it do not answer the need here, exact?

It shows the NEWS.Debian but not the upstream NEWS file.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise