Re: [RFC] changes to rsyslog - default to RFC 5424 format

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> we are early in the bookworm release cycle, so I guess it's the
> perfect time to bring up this topic.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but perhaps now is a good time to stop
using the legacy syslog time format and use the standardized RFC 5424
format?  It is the default format in upstream rsyslog, but the default
Debian config uses the legacy format.

Effectively, the change that I suggest is to stop putting this into
/etc/rsyslog.conf by default:

#
# Use traditional timestamp format.
# To enable high precision timestamps, comment out the following line.
#
$ActionFileDefaultTemplate RSYSLOG_TraditionalFileFormat

The legacy time format that is used today does not record year, timezone
or subsecond information.  Compare /var/log/syslog outputs like this:

Nov 23 21:47:31 latte jas: test

with

2021-11-23T21:47:49.082799+01:00 latte jas: test

/Simon