Re: merged-/usr transition: debconf or not?

Ansgar <ansgar@43-1.org> writes:

> So I do not think there should be a command-line option for this; unless
> it would behave like `--add-architecture` and register the setting
> somewhere.

Agreed.

I also think it needs to be a two-phase thing, because dpkg has to convert
its internal database to respect the new aliases.  So there should be a
desired configuration and then an applied configuration, and the latter is
only updated once the database conversion is complete, with dpkg refusing
to perform package operations if the desired configuration doesn't match
the applied configuration.

Even if the command that changes the configuration also does the database
conversion, I think we need this, since I don't believe it's possible to
do the database conversion atomically (or at least it would involve extra
complexity that I don't think we want), so we have to handle the database
conversion being interrupted.

> I do not think this should be a configuration file (unless you suggest
> supporting other values or removing individual lines; after all a
> configuration file exists to be changed).

Are you thinking of perhaps shipping this configuratino somewhere in
/usr/lib instead so that it's not marked as a configuration file?