Re: merged-/usr transition: debconf or not?

Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues <josch@debian.org> writes:

> Please don't. Since 2014 it is possible to create a Debian chroot
> without taking care of the unpack order and without running any special
> setup beforehand that cannot be put into apt or dpkg itself (like
> creating /var/lib/dpkg/info which is not needed anymore since dpkg
> 1.20.0). One of my biggest motivations in writing mmdebstrap was to get
> rid of all the quirks that currently live in debootstrap, move them into
> apt and dpkg so that we end up with a declarative bootstrap process that
> is driven by the package contents, their metadata and maintainer scripts
> but does not need magic from the outside other than standardized
> interfaces. Requiring the merged-/usr setup to be done by the bootstrap
> script would be a step backwards.

I understand why you want this, but unfortunately it doesn't answer the
question of how to safely perform the upgrade and reconfigure dpkg.  Do
you have any thoughts on the drawbacks of the approach of putting the
symlinks in base-files that led me to lean away from doing that?

I'd love to get all of the machinery into packages as well, but I think
safely upgrading existing systems is even more important than that, and
I'm worried about our ability to do so if we put the machinery in
base-files.