Re: merged-/usr transition: debconf or not?

On Thu, 2021-11-18 at 13:09 +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Nov 18, Zack Weinberg <zack@owlfolio.org> wrote:
>
> > And, as it has proven to be a genuinely critical problem, it is also their
> No, it has not.

Indeed - it seems to me there's a convenient tendency to forget that
this is not something new that has never been seen before, to be
introduced without any testing. This is the default. It has been the
default for multiple releases of multiple distributions. All Ubuntu
installations that were not using this default are now forcibly
converted upon upgrade to 21.10.

And yet nobody has actually seen this happen, to the best of my
knowledge. So either this combination that would allegedly not work
hasn't been used once in 4+ years across multiple distros, or the
required alignment of coincidences to make the issue happen is so rare
that it just never happens in practice.

All we have is a proof of concept. By all means, if anybody cares
enough, go and fix it, no problem with that. Propose an actual, working
alternative that gives the same result too - will happily spend my time
to test it. And put in place QA checks and whatnot to be sure - that
seems a great idea.

But talks of blocking everything and reverting things with a hacky
script that has never actually been used before, in the face of
multiple decisions by the tech committee and no evidence whatsoever of
real-world impact, and despite tens of thousands of actual, real bugs
affecting Debian that don't get even a fraction of the same treatment
(even the Replaces: feature has been affected by unrelated, actual,
reported bugs, and might very well still be, haven't checked) seems to
me a tiny bit hyperbolic and exagerated.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi