Re: Epoch bump for golang-github-valyala-fasthttp

On Fri, 2021-11-12 at 10:55:26 +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> On 12 November 2021 12:38:23 am IST, Guillem Jover <gjover@sipwise.com> wrote:
> >The golang-github-valyala-fasthttp package used to have date-based
> >release numbers (current Debian version 20160617-2). Upstream has
> >since switched to semver (latest upstream version 1.31.0).
> >
> >So the version scheme has been reset, and unfortunately given that no
> >prefix was used when initially packaging this, an epoch seems to be in
> >order now.
> >
> >I'm planning on updating in the coming days to the latest upstream
> >release and bump the version using an epoch.
>
> How about golang-github-valyala-fasthttp-v1 ?
> Though it won't match import path, it can avoid the epoch.

While interesting, I think this might be worse. I'm not a fan of
epochs, but this is precisely the case they were intended for. The way
I see it, the source package name is now burned, and even if we played
games and used a different source+binary name w/o epoch, but breaking
the current convention and expectation of package names trying to map
closely to import paths, the current source+binary one could/should not
be reused anyway, so we might as well bump the epoch there, and if in
the future there's a «.v1» kind of import path bump, then we can simply
drop the current one and completely get rid of the epoch.

> Most projects change import paths on incompatible bumps.

But this didn't happen upstream in this case.

Thanks,
Guillem