Re: Multiple teams maintaining one package (proposal)

Quoting Ole Streicher (2021-11-07 11:18:34)
> during the discussion of the new Debian Math Blend/Team in the
> debian-science mailing list, some people expressed their fear that
> many packages cannot be simply maintained because they belong to a
> different team.
>
> Specifically, we have teams within (at least) two dimenion:
>
>  1. Language (or so) oriented teams, like for Python, Java etc.
>  2. Topical (or Blends) oriented teams, like Astro, Science, Med
>
> An astronomy related Python package would usually be maintained by the
> Astronomy team. This has the disadvantage, that the Python team cannot
> just "team upload" this package; which makes bulk updated more
> complicated than necessary.
>
> One solution here could be to recognize multiple teams: the "primary
> one" (by the maintainer's selection) goes into the "Maintainer:" field
> in d/control, and all secondary would go into the "Uploaders:" field.
> This would imply that the package is conform to all team policies,
> except for the salsa location of the package (i.e. a package that has
> the Debian Astro Team as primary team would live in the
> salsa.d.o/debian-astro/team/).
>
> For team related tests/uploads, this would probably require to update
> the scripts to find all team packages, and adjust the permissions (by
> package) on Salsa to allow pushes from other teams.
>
> On the other hand, it would significantly improve the maintainance for
> a number of packages.

Salsa access rights include the option to grant access to Debian
developers at large, which can be used to permit upload rights for
secondary teams (as upload generally requires Debian membership anyway).

At https://tracker.debian.org/teams/ arbitrary sets of packages can be
monitored together, with email subscriptions to changes, which can be
used as aid for "secondary" teams.

If lintian warns about uploads about team uploads made by the "wrong"
team then I would simply ignore that.

 - Jonas