Re: deb822 sources by default for bookworm

On Wed, Nov 03, 2021 at 04:23:52PM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
> this sounds like a nice and useful plan and feature(s), thank you!
> just one question:
>
> On Wed, Nov 03, 2021 at 04:45:15PM +0100, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > I'd like us to move from
> >     /etc/apt/sources.list
> >     /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.sources
> [...]
> > #timeline
>
> You didn't say so explicitly, but do you plan to support old style
> /etc/apt/sources.list until forever? ;) Or do you envision automatic
> migration of that file? Or?

I don't know, to be honest, have not thought about it yet.

With APT's 5 year interface stability and major version bump,
The first time we could remove support for old releases would be
trixie/apt 3.0 in 2025 (that schedule just happens because I don't
want to release .10 versions, but keep the 2nd component single
digit :D)

I think an automatic migration might be to painful what with all the
juju and ansible and saltstack (I feel like it'd be nice to have
those tools migrate config to new formats).

Of course, once everyone and their dog has migrated, I might feel
different and complain about legacy sources.list and deprecate
them.

So presumably, we'd have both as supported in bookworm, sources.list
deprecated for trixie, and then removed in 2030 in apt 4.0, but that's
still 8 years to go.

(all dates are 1 year after the change lands in unstable, as the
 changes land in odd numbers earlier in the cycle)

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en