Re: Not running tests because tests miss source code is not useful

Quoting Pirate Praveen (2021-10-08 19:51:44)
> Draft text for the GR (this is my first time proposing a GR text, so
> help is welcome to make the text clearer).
>
> We should not worry about minified files in main that are (a) only in
> the source package and not in any binary package, and (b) only used to
> run tests, not to build the binary packages.
>
> To ensure these are not used during generation of binary packages, a
> nocheck build profile should be provided which will remove these files
> from the build environment.
>
> Rationale: Most of the time these minified files create a specific
> instance of a test case and these tests are not the only way to ensure
> functionality of the code we ship. Even though upstream runs these
> tests, during transitions we deviate from upstream for runtime
> dependencies and a way to ensure the functionality is not broken by a
> dependency change is essential. Insisting these test cases are built
> using only packages in main just makes running tests harder and
> disabing tests is choosen as an easier option. Treating the code used
> to run only tests is the same as generated code we ship is not useful.
> In case of the code we ship missing sources, our users can't modify the
> software. But if these sourceless code is used during tests, only
> ability to modify the test cases is lost. A test case is an arbitrary
> combination of the code and we have many different ways of testing a
> code.
>
> Option 1: Agree, we should allow these files in main
> Option 2: Disagree, we should not allow these files in main
> Option 3: Further discussion

I think above text fails to adequately narrow the scope of concern.

E.g. it could be interpreted to mean ignore licensing altogether, and it
could cover any files used for tests that is obfuscated somehow -
neither of which is your intent, I suspect.

I guess what you mean by "allow" is to ignore [DFSG #2].

I guess what you mean by "these files" is (in addition to the
limitations described about them being used only for tests) limited to
only JavaScript code which compared to its source code only has had
unnecessary characters removed without changing its functionality (based
on Wikipedia article on Minification).

I think composing the ballot is better discussed at the mailinglist
debian-vote@lists.debian.org

 - Jonas

[DFSG #2]: "The program must include source code, and must allow
distribution in source code as well as compiled form." at
https://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines