Re: best practice system setup and some concept ideas - /root (OS) /home (data) re-play changes and and /etc/config after re-install with new distro version?

On Wed, Oct 06, 2021 at 12:03:16PM +0200, dude wrote:
> what is the best practice for easy update & dist-upgrade:
>
>  1. in terms of speed and easy of distro updates, it makes sense to separate
>       * /root (software (programs) that can be re-downloaded) (on
>         separate single suepr fast SSD or NVMe)
>       * /home (non-reblacable unique data (massive amounts of space with
>         8x4TB software mdadm RAID10))
This is mostly irrelevant.
Also "non-reblacable unique data" exists outside /home too, e.g. in /etc
and /var.

>  2. when a new Debian 12 is coming out
>       * how to re-play all those changes, installs, configs and programs
>         made to /root?
Just don't reinstall. Debian recommends using apt and following the
release notes to upgrade to the next version.

>  3. if things go wrong there is still this nice "show me all changes to
>     logs in beautiful colors" one liner
>       * (ccze is very much needed also in Debian 12 :) (tried many
>         alternatives)
>       * find /var/log/* -type f \( -name "*" \) ! -path '*.gz*' -exec
>         tail -n0 -f "$file" {} + | ccze
(doesn't look like *changes* to logs for me, but whatever works for you)

>  1. install a very basic Debian 11 template
>  2. apply all changes (all changes will be recorded to a separate
>     partition (!?) or a local git repo!?) and saved as a "config
>     snapshot" that can be re applied as soon as Debian 12 template is
>     released :)?
This is over-engineering, unless you are going for the "infrastructure as
code" paradigm from the beginning (which is over-engineering for many
use cases as well).

--
WBR, wRAR