Re: netplan.io: call for co-maintainers

Hi,

On Tue, 28 Sep 2021, at 08:29, Richard Laager wrote:
I don't think we should install something
like netplan by default.
I agree: it only adds complexity.

I personally use netplan everywhere.

As to what should be the distro default, I'm not sure I am convinced either way, but to argue the other side... There is some value in using netplan by default. Some random thoughts:

This default would match Ubuntu. (I value reducing that delta. Not everyone does, and that's fine.)

netplan can configure both systemd-networkd and NetworkManager (though I've only used it with systemd-networkd).

As the downstream maintainer of netplan in Debian, I’d like to use this opportunity to invite more people to co-maintain it in Debian :) I like the idea of netplan, but unfortunately I never started using it myself, to it would only be fair if someone who actually uses it could help keeping it up-to-date in Debian.

As the upstream maintainer of netplan (and downstream maintainer in Ubuntu) I'd like to step up and volunteer to help with the maintenance of the netplan.io package in Debian!

I'd also be happy to support the switch to netplan as the distro default. But as I'm only starting to re-activate my Debian activities after some longer break and I'm not a Debian Developer (yet?) this is not my call.

Please let me know if I can help out with any specific things wrt. netplan! Otherwise, I will get back to Andrew, discussing some changes that we landed in the recent netplan releases: Most of the integration tests can nowadays be run inside containers and can thus be used as autopkgtests inside the Debian infrastructure. I think it would be a good first step for me to enable those tests.

Cheers,
  Lukas