Re: How to build circular dependant packages in debian

On 9/19/21 2:57 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2021-09-19 01:24:17 +0000 (+0000), Paul Wise wrote:
> [...]
>> Jeremy Stanley pointed out that this is for the StarlingX project,
>> please consider merging StarlingX changes back to Debian and our
>> upstream projects and contributing new packages back into Debian
>> itself.
> [...]
>
> According to meeting minutes from last week, it looks like that is
> either already happening or at least planned/intended:
>
> http://lists.starlingx.io/pipermail/starlingx-discuss/2021-September/012048.html
>
>>> * Debian patches going upstream:
>>>   https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:%22debian-build%22+(status:open%20OR%20status:merged)
> [...]
>>> * Building bridge to the Debian community now that the patches
>>>   are going upstream now that some of the patches are being
>>>   posted to upstream community.
>>> * Currently will accumlate the technical debt, but will build
>>>   bridge to the community members, and get those technical debt
>>>   upstream.
>>> * Challenge with pushing patches to Debian community is to get
>>>   the maintainer to understand the why of the patches, or the
>>>   solution of an issue, so that they will accept it.
> [...]
>
> But I agree, if they aren't already it would be great to see them
> pitch in with maintaining things in Debian they're relying on, as
> well as posting patches in the BTS or Salsa with rationale for
> modifications they're carrying.

In all logic, considering what starlingx is, if they had the intention
to upstream some patches, I should have known, no? Well, so far, they
didn't get in touch...

My mum always says: the road to hell is paved with good intentions. :)
[1]

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

[1] Not sure if I translated this one well. And assume good faith:
nothing intended but entertaining the readers here...