Re: Wine MinGW system libraries

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 9:54 PM Zebediah Figura wrote:

> The basic problem is that applications can and often do ship with PE
> builds of cross-platform libraries. These libraries can be ahead of
> Wine's system libraries, behind them, or even built with custom patches.
> Accordingly we really don't want to load "our" freetype in place of
> "their" freetype, or "theirs" in place of "ours". But because of the way
> the Win32 loader works, you can generally only have one DLL of a given
> name loaded in a process, and further attempts to dlopen() [as it were]
> "libfreetype-6.dll" will return the handle to the already loaded
> library, potentially breaking either Wine or the application.

I don't know the details here, but my immediate thought when reading
this is that you need some kind of namespace. I then found that linker
namespaces are a thing, perhaps they would provide the solution for
you. It sounds like the OpenGL shim loader solution listed on the
glibc wiki might work for your use-case. Or perhaps the LD_AUDIT
feature would also work.

https://www.sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/LinkerNamespaces

--
bye,