Re: Debhelper and /lib/systemd vs /usr/lib/systemd

On 2021-08-25 Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
[...]
> As I understand it, the "have usrmerge package patch the dpkg database"
> approach will only work if we ensure that each and every package stop
> using / in bookworm+1.

Hello,

you missed the second part of the "plan". Editing dpkg database syncs
the db with reality. In addition to that we need:
| if dpkg sees the top-level symlink, canonicalizes
| any files referenced in the packages to /usr/{bin,lib,sbin}/$1, with a
| fallback searching for /{bin,lib,sbin}/$1 in the file system, this
| would solve the problem.

A one-time rewrite does not solve the issue.  We cannot guarantee that
dpkg never sees a file with /bin/foo because of local or third party
packages.

cu Andreas
so grateful to you.'