Re: Debian choice of upstream tarballs for packaging

On 0825, Simon Richter wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On 8/25/21 1:21 AM, Sean Whitton wrote:
>
>> From my point of view, signing git tags is no less well established a
>>best practice than signing tarballs -- in fact, to me, it seems *more*
>>well established.
>
>That is ecosystem dependent.
>
>FWIW, I'd love to see git bundles as a source archive format -- this would
>allow shipping a (signed) tag, its commit, and the tree and blob objects for
>that commit as a single file that can be built in a reproducible way and allows
>changes on top to be easily tracked, including the branch point.
>
>In the absence of an "official" upstream release tarball, using this format
>also makes it clear that this is a git snapshot, so no explanation is needed
>how that archive was created.

Ecosystem-dependent or not, I can see being able to verify who uploaded
the Git tag (or anything for that matter) as being increasingly valuably
in a world where there is a lot of uncaught or ignored plagiarism.
Uploaders and creators should have integrity so that their users can
rely on them and be confident to deliver quality work.

--
Best regards,

Brian T