Re: merged /usr vs. symlink farms

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 08:23:50AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> If we tried to document every random bit of buggy packaging behavior
>> anyone thought of in Policy, Policy would become unwieldy, so I want to
>> verify here that someone really thought having one package containing a
>> file in /bin and another package containing the same file in /usr/bin
>> was was a reasonable thing to do (as opposed to accidental).  Are there
>> packages in the archive like this?  Or could you point me at the
>> message in the thread that said this was non-buggy?  I think I missed
>> it.

> The problem here is also that if there are two packages like that, on an
> usrmerge system, we would not know this is happening.

I agree, of course, but I don't see a way in which Policy can help with
that problem unless this packaging decision was intentional and the person
who made that decision would have chosen otherwise if Policy had said to
not do it.

This seems more like an appropriate check for an archive-wide QA tool
looking for cross-package problems.

(That said, the molly-guard example does seem to indicate that at least
one packager in the past did not realize this would be a problem.)