Re: Debian choice of upstream tarballs for packaging

Hi,

I wrote this many times, but I don't see why we should use any "upstream
tarball" when the Git repository itself contains the tarball with:

git archive --prefix=$(DEBPKGNAME)-$(VERSION)/ $(GIT_TAG) \
	| xz >../$(DEBPKGNAME)_$(VERSION).orig.tar.xz

(which leads to a .xz, which is nicer)

"git archive" is reproducible, for simplicity I wouldn't use a prefix though. xz has some issues with reproducibility, AFAIK "-T2" makes it disable some internal heuristics that are based on the machine it is running on, and generates consistent output.

   Simon