Re: merged /usr vs. symlink farms

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 06:47:50PM +0100, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> My recollection (which might be wrong, but a quick look at release
> notes seems to support it with 11.04 having multiarch 2 years before
> Wheezy) is that Canonical led the way with the multiarch effort in
> Ubuntu, and Debian followed with lots of huffing, puffing and
> grumbling.

As a Canonical employee who was involved in the multiarch design work at
the time, this is a pretty unfair-to-Debian version of history.  Yes,
some things took a bit longer to get organized on the Debian side for
various reasons, but the design and implementation work was done in
collaboration with key people in Debian and was definitely better for
it; Guillem and Raphaël in particular did a lot of hard work on dpkg and
dpkg-dev respectively.  (Also, several of us on the Canonical side
regarded ourselves as having one foot firmly in each camp; I certainly
didn't see it as a confrontational sort of thing where we were having to
drag Debian along with us - rather the contrary, there was a lot of
enthusiasm in Debian for it.)

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                              [cjwatson@debian.org]