Re: WARNING: dh_installsystemd is moving unit files to /usr/lib/systemd/system

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 12:18:51AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> There appears to be a rather major regression in debhelper 1.13.4 and
> 1.13.4nmu1, which is forcing unit files to go in
> /usr/lib/systemd/system, instead of /lib/systemd/systemd (where sytemd
> will actually pay attention to them).
>
> On systems with ursmerge, things should still work, thanks to the
> compatibility symlink, but this will cause packages with unit files
> built since debhelper 1.13.4 was released to unstable, or uploaded as
> source builds, to be incorrect, triggering a Lintian error and
> breaking on systems that don't have usrmerge installed.
>
> For more details and analysis, please see:
>
> 	https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=992469
>
> I just wanted to post a warning that if you were planning on building
> or uploading new source-only uploads to unstable now that Bullseye has
> been released, and your package contains systemd unit files, you may
> want to hold off until this bug gets fixed...

Actually, I just reported #992465 against Lintian last night:
the Lintian error is outdated. See the original message in #987989 that
prompted the debhelper change:

I got a scare yesterday, too, when I noticed a local rebuild moved
a unit file to /usr/lib/systemd/system/, but then I read #987989 and
then I actually tried it - and systemd happily found my service and
started it.

So, it's not as bad as it looks at first :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam@ringlet.net roam@debian.org pp@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13