Re: Debian choice of upstream tarballs for packaging

Quoting Marc Haber (2021-08-17 18:56:59)
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 15:52:27 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk>
> wrote:
> >Quoting Simon Richter (2021-08-17 14:17:05)
> >> Rather than accept defeat, I'd like Debian to push upstreams more
> >> aggressively for higher quality releases, and also to make
> >> judgement calls on whether a particular package is even suitable
> >> for a stable release instead of assuming that by default.
> >>
> >> For a package to be included in Debian, it must be possible to
> >> maintain it.
> >[...]
> >> Part of being a maintainer is to communicate our needs to upstream,
> >> and work with them on solutions.
> >
> >Well said!
> >
> >All of it, not only above highlighed snippets.
>
> I do mostly agree with that, but we also need to take into account
> that people usually don#t want explanation, they want what they want
> to work without hassle, and that they'll readily ditch Debian in favor
> or some other distribution that claims to be more easy to use.
>
> There is, for example, one distribution that is based on Ubuntu (maybe
> they thought that ubuntu would be too hard to install) and does not
> support upgrades. Their FAQ says "we cannot support upgrades because
> we're based on Debian which doesnt support upgrades".

Sorry, I fail to understand what was the point of last paragraph above.
Would you mind spelling it out to me?

I mean, I doubt that you simply wanted to say that some derivatives of
Debian don't understand Debian and therefore waste time reinventing
wheels...

 - Jonas