Re: Gitlab support for Debian repositories (Was: Regarding the new "Debian User Repository")

Hi Holger,

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 05:12:54PM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi Wouter,
>
> sorry for the late reply but I think it's still relevant...
> (just thus rather leaving almost full quote as context.)
>
> On Thu, Jul 08, 2021 at 11:25:26AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> [...]
> > > that's nice, but rather theoretic (however common it is today) in practice :)
> > > It would be really interesting / a game changer, to have a publishing option
> > > which would only allow publishing of builds proven in practice to be
> > > identical.
> > It's actually fairly easy to do that:
> >
> > - Create two runners, with different tags (e.g., one tagged "build1",
> >   and one tagged "build2"). One can be a docker runner, the other a
> >   shell runner, just to keep things interesting.
> > - Create two jobs that build the same source in ways that might trigger
> >   reproducability issues (I'm sure you're better at this than me). Make
> >   sure that they don't store their artifacts in the same location (e.g.,
> >   one job runs "dcmd mv ../*.changes products/build1/", and the other
> >   one does "dcmd mv ../*.changes products/build2/").
> > - Have a third job that depends on both the above two jobs, and that
> >   runs diffoscope over the artifacts of both jobs. If and only if the
> >   diffoscope doesn't reveal any issues, run dput to upload the packages.
> >
> > I think the salsa-CI team can easily add support for this to their
> > generic pipeline...
>
> that would be really nice, thank you for explaining this idea so well!
>
> just one thing: here we do *not* want to trigger reproducibility issues,
> rather the opposite: if we manage to do two builds resulting in exactlty
> the same .deb(s), we are happy.

Yes, of course -- I didn't mean to say "you should make it fail", but
rather "I'm sure you know of ways in which it commonly fails that we
want to protect against".

> because here, our focus would be to publish things :)

Sure. But also to find problems early rather than late, no?

--
     w@uter.{be,co.za}
wouter@{grep.be,fosdem.org,debian.org}