Re: Arch triplet for uefi applications

Le vendredi 13 août 2021, 00:29:02 UTC Guillem Jover a écrit :
> On Tue, 2021-08-10 at 12:34:18 +0000, Bastien Roucariès wrote:
> > I am going to compile shell.efi from source.
> >
> > I whish to install to something stable, but I need an arch triplet
> > in order to put in a multiarch (like) location.
>
> Multiarch-based pathnames should only be used by multiarch-conforming
> packages for matching and existing dpkg architectures, otherwise we'll
> end up with a mess of conflicting paths if we ever add such real
> architecture.

Why ? If we build now a arch-all package and when the arch is up we could
Break to the arch:all package. Normally it should work (or maybe I miss
something)

> Where <https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/Spec/FreestandingArches>
> comes to mind.

Yes it is the same except that uefi is a full fledged arch with a sort of OS.
But it will be nice to use the same thing

I volontuer to implement this stuff, it will allow to build for instance
firmware to arm easilly. Do you have some pointer of how to implement ?

> In addition the main reason we had to add the multiarch tuples was
> pretty much to workaround the problem with i386 using varying CPUs in
> the GNU system name (i486, i586, i686), so using anything but i386
> there would be adding insult to injury. :)

Yes and no. In this case, clang use i686 as triplet and API is specified to be
i686 only.

> > I suppose that it will be  x86_64-efi-none (or maybe x86_64-windows-efi  )
> >  and i686-uefi-none ? Note that grub use x86_64-efi
>
> The vendor always gets ignored in the dpkg context.
>
> Although is there really a need for a cross-compiler here, or is
> something like -ffreestanding enough?

It is more the freestanding but just a little bit more. I plan to create a
spec file to gcc for helping and adding slowly stuff like hardenning library
(for improving security of this beast)

> > I suppose we should register these triplet somewhere, and I suppose it is
> > config-patches@gnu.org ?
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/FAQ#Q._Can_we_add_support_for_new_dpkg_ar
> chitectures.3F
Ok will do, step by step.