Re: Steam Deck: good news for Linux gaming, bad news for Debian :(

Quoting Andreas Tille (2021-08-12 23:06:47)
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 02:06:37PM +0200, Romain Porte wrote:
> > Maintainers like their freedoms, but enforcing some tools at some
> > point could make it easier for everyone to contribute and not
> > relearn the packaging process for every package, because currently
> > every package is different. We are getting there by looking at the
> > number of "3.0 (quilt)" packages and "dh" usage, but when a package
> > does not conform to this norm, it triggers a mental freeze on my
> > side (and I want to migrate it all to dh/3.0 quilt etc.).
>
> +1
>
> May be we start defining workflow recommendations in policy or we
> draft some development policy.  I'm aware that there are may be < 100
> packages inside the Debian package pool that are hard to push into
> some default shape - but most packages with "unusual" workflows are
> that way for no good reason.

>From where do you get those estimates?

I think a good start would be to try identify which packages are
maintained in which style and for which reasons.

I imagine that https://trends.debian.net/ can help to some extend but
that's not enough to identify e.g. how many packages use cdbs due to
being tied to Haskell, or how many packages of a certain "smell" have
seen no recent maintainer update.

Just an idea for a concrete task that I think would help us understand
what is holding back progress towards streamlining of packaging.  I am
not volunteering to do the work myself, sorry: I have too much on my
plate already.

 - Jonas