Re: Debian package manager privilege escalation attack

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 01:17:03AM -0500, Brian Thompson wrote:
> > > Thank you for bringing this to everyone's attention. This are very
> > > real
> > > vulnerabilities.
> > How are they vulnerabilities?
> They are vulnerabilities because the user is susceptible to this kind of
> attack by default.
No. Read the article.

> I don't think a lot of users are security-conscious enough to prevent
> sudo access for commands like apt and snap.
The focus of the article is "sudo access *only* to apt". When we talk
about unrestricted sudo access it doesn't even make sense to talk about
privilege escalation because unrestricted sudo is by design a privilege
escalation.

> > Ah, so you haven't read the article.
> No, I read the article.
Yet you are talking about things out of the scope of the article.

--
WBR, wRAR