Re: Debian package manager privilege escalation attack

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 10:55:44PM -0500, Brian Thompson wrote:
> Thank you for bringing this to everyone's attention. This are very real
> vulnerabilities.
How are they vulnerabilities?

> NPM has similar issues with stopping malicious packages from being
> published to the FTP server.
That's not what is the article about.

> Malicious packages can and do make it into the dependency sets of
> popular packages. This is a problem. I don't think that any amount of
> human effort and attention can prevent malicious packages from making it
> to the FTP server.
This, again, is not what is the article about. Malicious packages don't
need these "vulnerabilities" as they can put files to your file system
directly.

> Perhaps a workaround for users right now would be to have a user with
> package management sudo access, and not much else.
Ah, so you haven't read the article.

> Also, we should notify our upstream projects, and the Linux community as
> a whole, of these vulnerabilities. I believe that to be a moral
> obligation.

WBR, wRAR