Re: Need help with Multi-Arch in systemd

Hi Michael,

I'm not yet fully convinced that we're out of options, but let's for a
moment assume we were.

On Fri, Jul 09, 2021 at 10:26:43PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> So, unless we get a :arch annotation that can be used for M-A:foreign
> packages, maybe the best option is

Given Johannes' reply, I think that :arch annotations can be a strict
improvement to the status quo. dose will ignore them, so you aren't
worse off with it. apt and dpkg agree to honour them, so they'd
practically solve the symptoms (despite leading dose into non-solutions
to certain satisfiability issues that are mostly relevant to cross
building only).

The one question here is whether those are the semantics that we want
for this corner case of multiarch. A while ago, David changed apt to
make it stop behaving like dose and instead make it behave like dpkg.
That looks like we had consensus back then. Did we document it anywhere?

> option 5)
> do nothing?
>
> I mean, we shipped the M-A: foreign notation for systemd since 2014.
> If there is one bug report regarding such an architecture mismatch in 7
> years, maybe the most pragmatic approach is to simply ignore it, given the
> downsides of the alternatives? I'm not sure what the best course of action
> is here.

If :arch qualifiers are an option, I think they are a strict improvement
over doing nothing. That's something I couldn't convincingly say about
any other option. In any case, I don't think fixing this in time for
bullseye is reasonable, so we do have some time figuring out whether
:arch is a solution.

Helmut