Re: What are desired semantics for /etc/shells?

On 6/14/21 7:39 AM, Helmut Grohne wrote:
At this time, my personal preference would be turning /etc/shells into a
symbolic link to an autogenerated file.

Is there a harm in /etc/shells containing shells that are not installed on the system? If not, then we could ship a single /etc/shells in base-files and be done with it. The file would only need to change when a new shell is packaged for Debian, which is infrequent; such a change would be trivial to make.

One downside would be that third-party repositories, e.g. for a new shell, could not add to /etc/shells, in a policy-compliant way. That said, Debian Policy is not binding on them anyway.

If it _is_ harmful for /etc/shells to reference shells that do no exist, then maintaining the list automatically (by whatever mechanism, including the current approach but fixing the bugs) makes sense.

--
Richard