Re: Reconsider sending ITP bugs to debian-devel: a new list?

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 11:17 am, Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
Hi,

ITP bugs are copied to debian-devel@. The intention, I think, is to make sure that they have many eyes on them. ITP bugs often get feedback from
readers of debian-devel.

I think this is valuable. However, it's one job/task/role, and sometimes One wishes to focus on other jobs/tasks/roles instead. When I subscribed to debian-devel directly, I most often filtered ITP mail into a separate
mailbox, to read at separate times. Nowadays, I read most Debian lists
via NNTP gateways, and filtering ITPs is not quite so convenient (not
least, because I don't easily have an analogue of the ITP-dedicated
mailbox I used to.). But besides me, I think a better "default" for
debian-devel would be not to have the ITPs.

I think the ITP mails can make reading the rest of the list difficult
without extra local filtering or steps.  Some times they are the
majority of the list traffic. I think it would be better if
ITP mail went to a separate, dedicated list, e.g. "debian-itp" to which
contributors are encouraged to subscribe and participate.

Does anyone have any strong feelings about this, either for or against?

I think this is a good idea. We probably need to do this more widely in teams as well (some teams already split discussion and automated mails in separate lists and I think more teams should do it).