Re: Planning for libidn shared library version transition

* Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> [210527 06:19]:
> The one non-cosmetic reason I can think of why transitional packages
> are potentially bad is that they aren't removed automatically, so systems
> that have been upgraded many times can end up with a lot of transitional
> packages;

If transitional packages either had a debtag or a control file field
that identified them, then tools like deborphan could easily be made to
find and remove them, perhaps ensuring that the replacement package was
appropriately marked as manual or automatic.

Once that is common, apt and friends could be made smarter as that
particular itch bothered the responsible maintainers.

...Marvin