Re: Changed Github download URLs are affecting lots of existing watch files

Hi Wookey,

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 10:45:42PM +0000, Wookey wrote:

> Has anyone tried asking github if they are willing to specify and
> support a stable interface (maybe even revert this change for the time
> being). It's quite a big deal when they change these things,
> especially just before a stable release.
>
> Having a reliable way to check the current release version is a
> significant feature for a platform like theirs, and it wouldn't be
> hard to keep the old URLs working for a couple of years to allow a
> smooth switch to a specified long-term interface.

I admit when I wrote my initial mail I was thinking about these lines
but did not suggested it since I was not sure whether this is helpful in
the end.  Even if Github might be *that* friendly to Debian (which I'm
not sure whether this will actually happen at all) it is only one
example what could happen if we stick to the way we detect new upstream
versions the way we are doing it now.

My favourite solution would be to rather use the idea to base this
on the VCSwatch result and automatically change VCS.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de