Re: Realtek RTL8723DE, RTL8821CE, RTL8822BE and RTL8822CE chipsets

I will note something similar, except that I went into it with my eyes
open...

Originally (10 years ago), 2.4ghz wifi was not natively supported. Okay,
said we geeks, can it be compiled and inserted manually? Yes, it could.
I wrote a script to compile and insert said driver, and thereafter,
every time there was a kernel update or patch, that's what I did. And it
worked fine for the couple of years it took for 2.4ghz to be natively
supported in Linux.

Fast forward to 2 months ago. Looking at 5ghz wifi, I *knew* what I was
volunteering for when I saw a 5ghz wifi dongle on Amazon (one of the
questions was: Is it supported for Linux? *I* snickered, as I has a very
good idea what the implications were).

I bought one, and, back to old school, I can and do run it, manually
compiling and inserting the driver as needed. It's a very familiar process.

Here's a real world application: in fact I bought *two* 5ghz dongles,
one for myself, one for an *extreme* end user whose system I administer.
On my system, as needed, compile and reinsert driver. On her system, I
pulled the 5ghz, went back to the 2.4ghz dongle, trusting that she won't
see the difference.

No big deal, not a complaint, I am PERFECTLY comfortable with compiling
and inserting a driver (compare and contrast that to Windows, where you
are SOL if there is not a driver available, I *do* get it)...more a
point in the right direction. This is where we were 10 years ago with
2.4ghz.