Re: Changed Github download URLs are affecting lots of existing watch files

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 10:38:57PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> This breaks at least all Debian Med packages refereing to Github and
> probably way more.  This means our toolset will fail to detect new
> upstream versions.
>
> Any idea what to do (besides uploading all packages obtained from
> Github right after the release)?

This was reported as #985633

A fixer for this issue was added to lintian-brush already (version
0.101, fixer debian-watch-file-uses-old-github-pattern).

That said, I agree that needing to update and re-upload every package
isn't a great way of solving this issue. However, until and unless
there is some good way of storing updatable out-of-band package
metadata for this purpose, it would be nice if there was a more compact
way of specifying the latest-tag case for common hosting platforms
(with well-specified APIs) without needing to resort to HTML scraping.

Gordon