Re: Changed Github download URLs are affecting lots of existing watch files

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 11:43:27PM +0100, Yadd wrote:
> Le 26/03/2021 à 22:38, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> > I just learned that what was formerly something like
> >
> >       .*/archive/
> >
> > became now
> >
> >       .*/archive/refs/tags/
> >
> > This breaks at least all Debian Med packages refereing to Github and
> > probably way more.  This means our toolset will fail to detect new
> > upstream versions.

FWIW, the github snippet in man uscan recommends `(?:.*?/)` which I can
confirm has not broken with this update.

> > Any idea what to do (besides uploading all packages obtained from
> > Github right after the release)?

You could make a lintian-brush filter to make Janitor prepare the change
for you on next upload. In the meantime, I don't think there's a better
way of tracking changes than to take a copy of all the affected watch
files and uscan them locally/in CI. Watch files, homepage urls, signing
keys are all just metadata that can occasionally change.

> We could perhaps handle that with uscan then each time GitHub changes
> its website, only uscan should be updated.
>
> IDEA 1: create a uscan macro
> IDEA 2: create a uscan option:

Sounds like you're asking for a new github redirector on qa.debian.org
as there is for sf.net, which could use the official api for stability.