Re: General Resolution: Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 11:50:31AM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> [replying only to -vote - please avoid cross-posting!]

OK, but you actually replied only to -devel instead of -vote.

> [...]
> > hear these cases (including rms' position).
> >
> > What I do not support is forcing the disintegration of the FOSS
> > community, even less in such crucial times. The COVID pandemic forces
> > evryone to digitise the hell out of them and their organisations, and
> > every action that weakens the FOSS movement in this ciritical process
> > certainly does more harm to the ecosystem than a single person on any
> > FOSS body's board ever could. Thus, I consider those responsible for
> > this, in my opinion, thoughtless action harmful to the FOSS ecosystem.
> >
> > As already said, I am in full support of an investigation committee,
> > and would immediately sign an open letter requesting the FSF to
> > instate one (including a helpful list of requirements for this committee).
> >
> > Thanks for listening!
> >
> > P.S.: On a side note, hosting this thing on GitHub, which explicitly
> > discriminates against parts of the community and is itself harmful to
> > the FOSS ecosystem as a whole, is at least a bit weird.
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------><8
> >

> > As such, I want to make the following amendment:
> >
> > 8><------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Choice 2
> > ========
> >
> > The Debian Project does not co-sign the statement regarding Richard
> > Stallman's readmission to the FSF board seen at
> > https://github.com/rms-open-letter/rms-open-letter.github.io/blob/main/index.md
> >
> > In its role as an important body in the free software world, the
> > Project has made its members aware of the situation, and respects the
> > opinion of all of its members. In doing so, every member is free to
> > sign the statement, or to not do so.
> >
> > The Debian Project make an official statement, along the lines of:
> >
> > * We have learnt about rms being readmitted to the FSF board
> > * We are aware of critical voices regarding the person known as rms,
> >   and we take every single report very serously
> > * Everyone who is affected by any action, opinion or statement of
> >   rms can ask the Debian Anti Harassment team for support, and
> >   the Anti Harassment team will suppor tthem in communicating with
> >   the FSF and ensure their concerns are addresses
> > * The Debian Project supports the instatement of an investigation
> >   committee regarding all accusations against rms and asks the
> >   FSF board to take such action, in close cooperation with other
> >   organisations and in full transparency
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------><8
>
> I like the general framing of this proposal, but cannot second it due to
> details in it:
>
> a) Seems to me that the statement implicitly expands the role of the
> Debian Harassment team from covering incidents within Debian to also
> cover Debian-external incidents related to RMS as well.  I think it is
> wrong to expand the role like that, and I think it is unnecessary for
> the general aim of this proposal to include that.

This should of course mean "realted to their work in the Debian project".

> b) I worry that the word "support" in last paragraph is either too
> strong or has no real meaning: Does it imply that we promise to dedicate
> economic funds, or time, or people - or how do we truly "support"?  If
> the intended meaning is that we support only in spirit then I think it
> is better to not write it at all, because of the ambiguity and because
> arguably we already demonstrate our spiritual support by not sitting
> idly by but making an explicit statement.

OK.

New wording, please comment:

8><------------------------------------------------------------------
Choice 2
========

The Debian Project does not co-sign the statement regarding Richard
Stallman's readmission to the FSF board seen at
https://github.com/rms-open-letter/rms-open-letter.github.io/blob/main/index.md

In its role as an important body in the free software world, the
Project has made its members aware of the situation, and respects the
opinion of all of its members. In doing so, every member is free to
sign the statement, or to not do so.

The Debian Project make an official statement, along the lines of:

* We have learnt about rms being readmitted to the FSF board
* We are aware of critical voices regarding the person known as rms,
  and we take every single report very serously
* Everyone who, related to contributions to Debian,  is affected by
  any action, opinion or statement of rms can ask the Debian Anti
  Harassment team for support, and the Anti Harassment team will
  support them in communicating with the FSF and ensure their concerns
  are addressed
* The Debian Project will cooperate with an investigation committee
  regarding all accusations against rms if the FSF board decides to
  instate such a committee, which the Debian Project endorses

> If you think it is ok to drop those two paragraphs, then perhaps it
> makes sense to work on merging this text with the other proposal for a
> brief non-signing statement.  How do you think about that, Nik?

I do not have an opinion on that yet.

-nik