Re: Need Help to build debian package from source code

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 12:59:25PM +0530, Manikant Singh wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I am IIT Kanpur student. I am trying to build debian package from source
> code after making some changes to it.
> Though I am able to make changes and build debian package successfully,
> some of the changes are not reflected.
>
> I made changes to corefile.c which are correctly reflected
> But changes made to histfile.c are not reflected after installation.

It's really hard for any of us to help you unless you give details
of what you did, and what exactly do you aim to achieve.
Which package are you trying to build? Are you trying to make it into
official Debian? What changes did you make?

Please push your source package somewhere for a review

> I have followed this tutorial to create debian package.
> https://www.linuxfordevices.com/tutorials/debian/build-packages-from-source

Hmm, this looks like a hello world package. Why don't you follow our
wiki for the same[1], rather than other tutorials on the web?

There are also several wikis for setting up packaging environment et.
al. Do you have those things in place on your system?

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/Packaging/Intro

> Could you help me with it ? Any help is appreciated.

Details are necessary. But that being said, this list isn't the best place
for beginner packaging problems. Please use:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors (debian-mentors@lists.debian.org) for these questions
(unless they are ambiguous or directly deal with policy matters or need the attention of several DDs)

> PS: I have tried with configure & make commands. installation works fine
> but I need debian package only.

Again, details please :-) Please put any follow up mails to
debian-mentors mailing list than here

Nilesh