Re: New service: https://debuginfod.debian.net

On Saturday, February 27 2021, Ian Campbell wrote:

> On Sat, 2021-02-27 at 11:47 +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 03:55:17PM -0500, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
>> As I said in the announcement message, I have proposed a Merge
>> Request
>> against elfutils in order to enable the automatic usage of our
>> debuginfod server.  I know that there are people who are not
>> comfortable
>> with having a debugger consult a remote server "behind their backs",
>> so
>> a possible mitigation to this issue would be to have a debconf
>> question
>> asking whether the user wants to enable system-wide debuginfod usage
>> or
>> not.
>
> The other option is that the application asks before downloading
> each time.
>
> FWIW that would be my personal preference too (probably with some sort
> of cache, maybe once per library or executable or some granularity like
> that) but since I don't plan on working on anything like that myself
> and it seems like a awful lot of quite complex work I wouldn't want to
> try and insist (even if I had grounds too, which I'm sure I don't)
> someone else does that amount of work, so long as it is opt-in at the
> gross level.

I appreciate the opinions here.  I agree that it would be nice to have
the application ask for permission, and I can try to work with upstream
in order to get this done, but for now I will go with the debconf opt-in
alternative.

BTW, libdebuginfod (which is the library that performs the download from
the client side) does keep a cache of what's been downloaded, so that
part at least has been addressed.

Thanks,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36