Unsolicited internet access in default installs (was: New service: https://debuginfod.debian.net)

Quoting Steinar H. Gunderson (2021-02-27 13:46:27)
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 12:29:34PM +0000, Thaddeus H. Black wrote:
> > I would prefer Kurt's option.  Network silence is important.  Network
> > noise would probably be a bug.  A sysadmin should not be made to take
> > special precautions to avoid the inadvertent disclosure of the user's
> > presence on the network.
>
> It's 2021; machines are not silent on the network. That ship sailed long ago.

I was about to write a rant, stating that it's unacceptable for any requests to
remote servers to be made by a Debian default installation without my explicit
consent. So I ran:

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 2G -netdev user,id=u1 -device e1000,netdev=u1 -object filter-dump,id=f1,netdev=u1,file=install.pcap -cdrom debian-testing-amd64-DVD-1.iso -hdd disk.img

And found out that I was wrong and you are right. Even though I answered "No"
to all questions related to mirrors and popcon during the installation, the
above command still recorded a DNS query for debian.map.fastlydns.net and a
subsequent download of /debian-security/dists/bullseye-security/InRelease.

Later on, after the installation had finished and gnome started, I see requests
to cdn.fwupd.org where something got downloaded from and then some
communication with 0.debian.pool.ntp.org.

No idea why we are still asking whether popcon should be enabled or not because
apparently it's 2021 and it's okay to tell others out there that I just
installed Debian.