Re: ftpmaster review reply Re: Comments regarding chroma_1.18-1_multi.changes

Hello,

On Thu 25 Feb 2021 at 09:02PM GMT, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Firstly, everything in that directory is completely DFSG-free in
> itself.

Right, which is why we're discussing contrib, not non-free.

> Secondly, almost all of its contents are input files and scripts which
> are actually used by the main build system to process the DFSG-free
> input files (svgs, etc.) into the files which are shipped in the
> .deb.  So an integral part of the source code for the DFSG-free .deb.
>
> The only thing which is useless without non-free ROMs is the script
> resources/browser/convert2chroma.pl [2].  Obviously therefore this
> script is not run at build time and is not shipped in the .deb.
>
> The difficulty you are having here seems to be simply that this one
> DFSG-free script, not shipped in any .deb, and not run during the
> package build, is not useful as part of a completely-DFSG-free
> workflow.
>
> Are you really telling me that we have to strip out from the *source
> package*, fully DFSG-free ancillary files which are shipped for
> convenience by upstream in the same source tree ?  Merely because they
> are not used in Debian and don't ahve fully Free uses ?
>
> By that rule any script (or maybe even documentation) in any source
> package which is there to help work with proprietary data or on
> proprietary systems would have to be thrown out (and the corresponding
> source package laundered).
>
> I don't see how this would benefit our users or protect Debian or
> anything.  And there must surely be many contrary examples of this in
> Debian.  It is very common for upstreams to provide ancillary stuff in
> source packages which we in Debian don't use or ship. [3]  They do
> this for everyone's convenience and it causes no trouble.  Until now :-/.

Firstly, it's worth noting that when it comes to the requirements for the
archive areas main/contrib/non-free, the distinction between source and
binary packages is not relevant.

In this case, I had thought that more than just convert2chroma.pl was
useless without proprietary ROMs, but I wasn't sure, why is why I wrote
to you.

On the difference between main and contrib, Policy is worded in terms of
whole packages -- "None of the packages in the *main* archive area
require software outside of that area to function."

It would be disingenuous to claim that as a result of this single perl
script, the whole chroma /package/ "requires software outside of main to
function".  So I think it is fine to accept to main indeed.  However, I
would like the opinion of a more experienced ftp team member.  So I've
removed the internal note I'd put on the package in NEW, so that someone
else can more readily take a look.

--
Sean Whitton