Re: investigating autopkgtest failures

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 06:18:12PM -0500, Nick Black wrote:
> I managed to push an update [0] that unexpectedly died in
> autopkgtests [1]. I'm thankful that the tests brought this
> problem to light, and grateful for the bug report--chalk it up
> as a nice win for autopkgtests! I'm now pondering how best to
> track this down, however, and at something of a loss. So far as
> I'm aware, the only artifacts left over from the run are the
> logs [2], unless one uses the AUTOPKGTEST_ARTIFACTS mechanism
> [3] (which I intend to start using ASAP).
>
> Even with artifacts tweaked to grab a coredump or whatnot,
> is there any way to test a modified package in the autopkgtest
> environment without a full archive upload? This particular
> program is pretty hardware-sensitive, and attempts to reproduce
> the bug locally have not yet been fruitful (though given that
> the autopkgtest failed on all architectures, it's likely less
> hardware-dependent than I'm making out).
>
> Ideally, I'd be able to run the autopkgtests as part of Salsa
> CI, which [4] suggests to be doable. Going even further, I'd be
> able to ssh into a failed autopkgtest environment (for some
> (short) time), and run some one-off experiments therein. Am I
> missing an existing process through which this is possible?

I can trivially reproduce your autopkgtest failure locally with:

$ autopkgtest -apt-upgrade --no-built-binaries growlight -- \
	lxc --sudo autopkgtest-unstable-amd64

If you add a --shell before the --, you will get a shell in the test
sytem. To run this against a locally built package, just replace the
package name with the path to your .changes file including source, or
point to the .debs *and* your local source tree (e.g.
/path/to/growlight.deb .).

Now, your tests are full of

Couldn't get blkid probe for /dev/dm-1 (No such file or directory), retrying...
Couldn't get blkid probe for /dev/dm-2 (No such file or directory), retrying...
Couldn't get blkid probe for /dev/dm-3 (No such file or directory), retrying...
Couldn't get blkid probe for /dev/dm-0 (No such file or directory), retrying...

which tells me they should probably not be being executed in a
container.