Re: libgcc-s1 buster -> bullseye upgrade issues

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 at 19:52:10 +0100, Paul Gevers wrote:
> [The release team are] pretty concerned about a couple of known RC bugs
> which need the proper attention of people familiar with upgrade paths
> as there's potential to leave upgrading systems unbootable and/or
> without a working apt.
> https://bugs.debian.org/972936 / libgcc-s1

I wanted to provide some signal boost for this and related upgrade issues.
Ryan Pavlik, one of my colleagues at Collabora, ran into a similar upgrade
failure involving libgcc-s1 and has made a self-contained reproducer
for it: <https://salsa.debian.org/rpavlik/gcc-upgrade-testcase>. This uses
Docker, but apt should behave the same in a chroot or VM.

He reports that at least the issue he originally experienced, and perhaps
others, can be fixed by adding transitional binary packages like these:
https://salsa.debian.org/rpavlik/gcc-10-compat

His gcc-10-compat package's README also has a fairly comprehensive list
of other upgrade bugs around libgcc_s.so.1 that might well have the same
root cause. #972936 is currently the only one marked as RC, but some of
the others should maybe be considered RC too.

Obviously, the transitional packages would ideally be built by src:gcc-10
rather than being a separate source package, and Ryan only prototyped them
as a separate source package to be able to iterate on them without having
to rebuild all of gcc.

    smcv